Monday, December 27, 2010

Dept of Agriculture in MO

The Dept of Agriculture  has started collecting a $100 license fee from MO rescues for 2011 PLUS $1 per dog. You know what he said to me when I called and asked about it. The small rescues only had to pay a small fee while the big rescues would pay more. I informed him that I AM A VERY SMALL RESCUE who will have to pay a very large fee because I move so many dogs.
The worse part of this is it isn't to improve the DOA. It isn't to hire more inspectors. It is to make up for their monatery loss from the Breeders going out of business and they are losing that money. So to make up for it they are passing it on to NON-PROFITS. Holy cow...don't we lose enough money as it is. Rescues spay and neuter their dogs to prevent breeding, we are picky about where the dogs go and we do everything possible FOR the dogs benefit. SO PENALIZE US .... I am in shock. Penalize a non -profit for making it better for the STATE of MO, better for the dogs.  I am ok with the license fee. I am not ok with the $1 per dog. ARE they out of their minds? Isn't it bad enough we struggle to do what we do. Isn't it bad enough we barely get by on donations but now we have to take money that goes for the care and feeding of the dogs and pay the DOA. The MO STATE  DEPT OF AG IS NOT RESCUE FRIENDLY. Such a shame. When rescues have to close because they can't afford to pay the DOA who will pay their fees then?? HIGHER TAXES??  On top of it all, the BAD Breeders still get away with all their shameless, horrendeous ways. The Breeder in Kansas who put down 1200 dogs due to distemper.. does the Doa care about those dogs? Will anything be done to him? 1200 dogs put down .....The fact that dogs continue to be bred and sold in this state is a crime. When so many dogs die, how can anyone be allowed to breed???

2 comments:

  1. Please contact your state legislators as they are the only ones who can sponsor a bill to adjust this. I agree. I don't mind paying the fee - I do mind being penalized for every dog I adopt out. The ones I keep or others may kill are not "charged." Only, to my understanding, the ones who are adopted. What a true shame. And who do we have to thank for this beneath it all? HSUS and Prop B.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Roberta the ones we transfer up north count in the per dog fee. So literally any dog we take in comes with a $1 DOA fee.

    ReplyDelete